This is a simple article to list what India is doing for it’s children. I will give links to various documents /sites talking about this and also write down a few things I know… You can also read some of my other blogs in this category. I have posted one on the Implications of the Right to Education Act and shall post one shortly on Major Provisions of the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000.
What I know of…
- The RIGHT OF CHILDREN TO FREE AND COMPULSORY EDUCATION ACT, 2009 has been notified in April 2010 and hence is in force now. Although not a panacea and a perfect legislation, it is still a step forward.
- The Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2000 is being considered for further amendment
- A Prevention of Offences against Child Bill, 2010 is set to be tabled in the parliament now in this monsoon session (July – Aug 2010) which could be a major step forward in preventing crime against children
- The Integrated Child Protection Scheme (ICPS) is being brought into force and this would setup the State and District child protection units and provide comprehensive care. This is being envisaged as a Government-Civil Society partnership program where the civil society is asked to actively get involved.
- There is a Childline being run by Childline India Foundation. You can call 1098 in many cities/towns now to report any cases of neglect / abuse of children including begging etc. They are supposed to inquire and take action in the best interest of the child.
So, What are you doing?????? If you are already working towards child rights, my wishes to you. If you have just started thinking, pls keep ur eyes and ears open towards the world of children. We can see so many events around us. Not that any solutions magically come up but over time, I am sure we can contribute…
Jai Hind !